Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Coco Chanel and Mindy Kaling


I like this. A thousand times over.
And I whole-heartedly agree.

One of my friends saw me putting myself together a few weeks ago (putting some bronzer in the crease of my eyelids - try it, and it will change your life), and she commented, "So THAT is how you look so put together all the time!" Well, yes - it takes a little bit of effort. But don't we all do something? Whether it's subtle or overt, we all put effort into our appearances - whether it involves putting a little bit of eyeshadow on, or wearing the jeans that fit you just right, or, you know, brushing your teeth four times a day. 

After so many years of not really feeling comfortable with myself - really, I rivalled the childhood photo on the back of Mindy Kaling's book - I really feel like I have come into my own and found a look that I'm looking forward to evolving. Complete with the bronzed eyes and, I'll admit, the cat eyeliner. And the ballet flats. God, the day I figured that one out...and it takes a few minutes, but it's part of my routine. And those few minutes of taking care of my face, hair, and clothing equate to me feeling like the best version of myself when I walk into a room. At the end of the day, isn't that what we all want? Am I alone here? 

But I must clarify: I ultimately like to feel "pretty" for myself. Any attention from destiny is purely a peripheral matter. Appreciated, but peripheral. My longtime love has seen me at my best and my most natural (notice how I didn't say WORST? Semantics, people, semantics), complete with the soccer game hair and zombie morning breath, and he seems to really like my personality through it all. He doesn't notice whether I do or do not put on that extra coat of mascara. 

Side anecdote: I met him at a party in my perpetual hoodie days when I was never without a zip-up hoodie from Garage. I loved hoodies, and they made me feel pretty cool, if I do say so myself. And there were very pretty girls who were - wait for it - bearing their shoulders and various appendages at said party. But my hoodied-self talked to him, and he talked back to me, and I ended up having one of the best three-hour conversations of my life. We have since moved on to lalala-love, and I have since moved on to cardigans and sweaters - a dangerous addiction - but he still likes the foundation of moi
{Sentimental side anecdote: I still have that good ol' hoodie.}

I won't apologize for my routine or my penchant for bronzer. Not now, and not ever. 
And I don't think anyone else should apologize for how they choose to style themselves. 
Just rock your style and your bad self, you know?
Because when you feel great on the inside and the outside (which are arguably and intrinsically linked), awesome things and awesome people will happen to you.

P.S. I love Mindy Kaling. And her book is amazing. And you should read it. NOW.
And I really would win in an awkward childhood photo content face-off. 
I'll bet you one hundred virtual arcade tokens.

1 comment: