Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Aches and pains

My right hip/butt/spine have been plaguing me with strange pains for the past few months. I have had inflammation issues for the past two years, so I attributed the pain to this and was trying to exercise/eat right through it. In a lot of ways, pain has kind of been a saviour - I am young enough to change my lifestyle for the better, and I regularly exercise and make a concerted effort to eat as Mediterranean as possible. Exercise is also so good for the pain that I experience (which usually stems from stress). Running, interval training, and light weights have been my go-tos.

I went to get a massage and apparently, the LEFT side of my sacrum is being a little *%#^er. Of course, it feels no pain, but the other side (perhaps to compensate) is in pain when I sit up, sit for too long, move in bed, etc. Walking is fine, by the way :) However, this was good news to be armed with - I always like to know what is wrong so that I can tackle it like any other problem.

Yesterday I signed up for a one-month subscription to My Yoga Online. My first bout with crazy inflammation left me unable to practice yoga, which has been a part of my life since the age of nine. Because the inflammation settled in my left shoulder and collarbone, I couldn't support myself in the most basic of yoga poses - this is where the weight training came in. My shoulder has settled down and is now armed with muscle, so I feel like I'm ready to integrate yoga into my exercise routine again.

I did this video, and I recommend it for runners, walkers, and anyone who uses their legs. I still went to sleep/woke up in pain, but I feel like this is going to be a big part of getting my spine and hips back to where they need to be. It is a full 45 minutes of hip and lower spine stretches. I'm excited to explore the other videos as well. (P.S. I am still going to see a doctor - after a two-week wait period, of course.)


Nike Women's Facebook page did a small feature on me for their Make Yourself Spotlight series a few months ago. Check out the story here and read about all of the other really inspiring young women who have used activity and exercise to work through crazy hurdles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment